If you are having trouble finding a place that you can afford to
rent, consider these subsidised flats and
Community housing: 311 Council flats for superannuitants
and individuals on the invalids benefit in Palmerston
The Council has rental accommodation for the superannuitants and
invalid beneficiaries. They are small self-contained flats in 18
locations around Palmerston North:
- privacy without isolation
- easy access to shops and bus stops
- carpets and blinds or curtains
Who is eligible to occupy these Council-owned flats?
- You must be 65 years or older, or be on the Invalids
- Your assets must not be worth more than $100,000.
- Assets exclude vehicle, household and personal effects and
prepaid funeral arrangements.
- Be deemed to have adequate support in place to live
safely in a council unit.
Rents are reviewed once a year (in April) and are usually
increased in July.
Double unit: single person $107.00; couple $137.00
Single unit or disability unit: $89.00 per week
Bedsit: $84.00 per week
A Liaison service is also provided where the Property and
Liaison Officer visit tenants twice a year.
Community Housing Contact Information
Vicki McKeeman - Residential
Or call the Customer Service Centre (06) 06 356 8199